NFL Picks

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Week Thirteen Picks

Well, we survived Thanksgiving week, and some of us (me, for example) are a bit worse for the wear. Actually, it was really only me that was greatly harmed; everyone else was above .500 for the week. Here's hoping this week is better. Some observations:

Unanimity

There is less of this in week thirteen due to a higher-than-usual rate of Solo Acts of Bravery. We are in one accord on just three games this week, predicting defeat for the Lions, the Browns, and the Vikings. That Vikings pick makes me a bit nervous, being that it involves rivals in what used to be known as the NFC Norris Division, a term rendered meaningless by the NHL's messing with its division names for no good reason.

Solo Acts of Bravery

Tim Sweatman, no doubt counting on a big day from Ocho Cinco (he had one last week) has picked the Bengals to upset the visiting Baltimore Ravens. Maybe if the Ravens bring the Browns' defense instead of their own...

Joe Kennedy picks the Giants over the Cowboys. My heart is with him here, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Geoff Baggett, in what looks like desparation, has picked the Titans to upset the Colts. Joel Bezaire has the 'Niners beating the Saints in the dome, and Richard "Tank" McPheeters has taken the Buccs over the Steelers.

Upset Special Pick of the Week

For the second week in a row, the Cardinals are playing indoors against a mediocre opponent, and they nearly pulled it off against the Vikes. They will have better luck this week against the Rams, and will have senile St. Louis fans cheering them on because they have a red bird on their helmets. Maybe.

Weekly Trivia

Speaking of helmets, the helmet logo of which two NFL teams features a depiction of a helmet within the logo itself? Resist the temptation to look at the pictures above and see if you can figure it out without cheating. I'll reveal the answer next week, unless someone gets it before then.

11 Comments:

  • At Wed Nov 29, 11:28:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Minnesota and Oakland, although I think once upon a time there was logo with a football player in it. And he wore a helmet. Hmm.

     
  • At Wed Nov 29, 11:34:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Scratch Minnesota, I meant Miami. The list grows if you add in logos, not just helmet logos. (Cleveland, Minnesota, etc.) And my throwback... it was Green Bay.

     
  • At Wed Nov 29, 11:38:00 AM CST, Blogger Wes Kenney said…

    Yes, the logos I have used on this blog are not exclusively the same as are on the helmets. The Viking logo here is wearing a helmet (though not a football helmet), but the Vikings helmets just have horns. The Browns, of course, have no helmet logos at all, which endears them to the purist in me.

    Miami and Oakland are the correct answers.

     
  • At Wed Nov 29, 12:03:00 PM CST, Blogger Wes Kenney said…

    Do you mean that Green Bay had a helmet logo with a player in it? A site I've found says that the "G" logo is the only one they've ever had.

    The Patriots used to have a player wearing a tri-corn hat on their helmets before they switched to their current, USFL-inspired logo (irritating my inner purist...).

     
  • At Wed Nov 29, 07:37:00 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wes, I don't know if this was ever on their helmet, but this was a logo for the Packers in 1962.

    Here.

     
  • At Fri Dec 01, 10:20:00 AM CST, Blogger Tom Bryant said…

    well, we're already off to a lousy start...

     
  • At Fri Dec 01, 10:45:00 AM CST, Blogger Wes Kenney said…

    Yeah, unless you happen to be Tim Sweatman, perfection is unattainable this week...

     
  • At Sun Dec 03, 03:02:00 PM CST, Blogger Geoff Baggett said…

    Desperation, huh?
    Titans 20, Colts 17
    I love being right.

     
  • At Mon Dec 04, 06:41:00 AM CST, Blogger Geoff Baggett said…

    And, technically, the Minnesota logo has a helmet, too. It's a Viking helmet! :)

     
  • At Mon Dec 04, 10:01:00 AM CST, Blogger Wes Kenney said…

    Yeah, I should have been clearer that I was talking about a football helmet.

    Nice job on the Titans pick. It took me until week 13 (and three times picking the Cardinals) to get an Upset Special pick to work out for me...

     
  • At Mon Dec 04, 02:06:00 PM CST, Blogger Geoff Baggett said…

    Yep, and Tim nailed it on the Bengals, too. It sees like nobody who is "supposed to" win is winning lately. I hope I do as well tonight. I need another win to keep me from having a truly raunchy week.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home